In January 2006, the ALA Committe on Legislation passed a resolution (pdf) reaffirming support of the universal service and the E-rate discounts for libraries and schools and establishing an ALA presidentially-appointed task force to work with the Schools and Libraries Division of the Universal Service Administrative Company. The task force will be staffed by the Office for Information Technology Policy (OITP) and will work closely with the Committee on Legislation and the Chief Officers of State Library Agencies (COSLA).
ALA E-Rate Task Force: 2003-2004 E-rate Task Force Charter:
- Work with the Schools and Libraries Division (SLD) of the Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC) and the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to improve and streamline the current operation and future development of the E-Rate program of discounted telecommunication rates for schools and libraries.
- Gather input from the library community and other interested library organizations including COSLA about issues and concerns with the E-Rate program and convey those concerns to the SLD and to the FCC on the of the telecommunications discount program.
- Serve in an advisory capacity to OITP projects to help organize and facilitate state level E-Rate coordination and to work with SLD on a formal evaluation of the program.
- Maintain a formal liaison with the Committee on Legislation to share information from Task Force activities as appropriate.
- Report annually to ALA Council on Task Force activities and accomplishments.
- The term of this Task Force appointment will be two years.