Privacy Tool Kit 7 of 9
The American Library Association:
- creates and updates policy and procedure resources about privacy and confidentiality.
- represents libraries in federal policy making and court proceedings.
- develops tools to help libraries ensure privacy and confidentiality for all users and staff.
- works with other organizations concerned with free expression and privacy concerns.
- monitors developments in the privacy arena.
- assists libraries with legal action.
- provides guidance and other assistance when library privacy is challenged.
- advocates for the public’s rights to access information, enjoy free expression, and privacy.
- provides specific guidance related to the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act.
- advocates through its divisions - AASL, ALSC and YALSA - for privacy of minors in their position statements, publications, and online presence.
- sponsors the annual Choose Privacy Week observation during the first week in May.