Here are eight things to do before you launch a referendum campaign:
- Unify your library’s branding so that it reflects your mission and is recognized throughout the community.
- Develop a public awareness campaign. Use the many resources available through Libraries Transform, ALA's public awareness and advocacy campaign.
- Conduct educational outreach; visit community based-organizations and local business groups to talk about the library’s work and how it serves the community.
- Make sure your library’s physical space reflects the community you serve, and showcase programs, events and services with photos, testimonials, artwork and more!
- Watch the Library Campaign Training Institute webinar series. Share it with board members and friends groups. (And make sure your trustees and friends groups check out the valuable resources available at United For Libraries.)
- Review your state’s campaign/election laws.
- Plan your campaign outside of work hours and away from the building. Identify a campaign chair who is not a library staff member and delineate responsibilities.
- Contact ALA’s Office for Library Advocacy for more information or for strategic assistance.