To serve as the ALA representative of rare book, manuscript and other special collections librarians and curators in all matters involving standards for providing intellectual access to and bibliographic description of those collections; to provide a centralized forum for discussion of issues relating to special collections technical processing, such as description cataloging and provision of intellectual access; to propose and/or develop necessary tools to support these activities; to develop ALA positions on, and provide a continuing review of bibliographic standards for, special collections; to serve as the formal liaison between the special collections community and appropriate units within ALA as well as organizations outside ALA, such as bibliographical networks, for the establishment of standards whereby the unique requirements of special collections may be addressed and to disseminate information pertinent to librarians and others responsible for providing intellectual access to special collections.
Displaying active committee roster as of 07/01/2012. Last retrieved on 10/17/2017. Members can log in to view full contact information for committee members.
Public Posts from ALA Connect
- Bibliographic Standards Committee meeting at 2017 ALA Annual: Draft agenda
- Do you agree that the proposed seminar, on RBMS Policy Statements for the 2018 RBMS Conference, be sponsored by the Bibliographic Standards Committee? See attached.
- Do you agree that the participatory session on item-level metadata during the RBMS conference in June, 2017 be sponsored by the Bibliographic Standards Committee?
- Bibliographic Standards Committee Agenda for ALA Midwinter
- Draft minutes of the RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee Annual 2015, San Francisco
- Do you approve of the formation of a BSC task force to explore data elements for rare materials description and their charge as defined in the attached document? Please do not vote if you are not a current member of BSC.
- Final minutes of RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee, ALA Midwinter 2015, Chicago
- Bibliographic Standards Committee - DCRM(MSS) Meeting I (ACRL RBMS)
- Bibliographic Standards Committee - DCRM(MSS) Meeting III (ACRL RBMS)
- Bibliographic Standards Committee - DCRM(MSS) Meeting II (ACRL RBMS)
The committee composition is determined by section leadership.
Association of College & Research Libraries
American Library Association
50 East Huron Street
Chicago, IL 60611-2788