Standards, Frameworks & Practices
Explore the ACRL Information Literacy Framework, Competency Standards for Higher Education, as well as related accreditation and international guiding documents.
On, January 18, 2000, the ACRL Standards Committee and the ACRL Board of Directors reviewed and approved the Information Literacy Competency Standards for Higher Education.
In July of 2011, ACRL formed a Task Force charged to recommend retaining the existing standards, revising the standards, or eliminating the standards. The task force recommended that the standards be extensively revised. Towards that end, the ACRL Information Literacy Competency Standards for Higher Education Task Force is revising the standards slated for publication in the summer of 2014.
Framework for Information Literacy in Higher Education (filed February 2, 2015 as one of the constellation of information literacy documents from the association.)
Framework WordPress site (for further resources)
Further Readings on the revisions to the ACRL Information Literacy Framework
- Each standard is divided into several performance indicators, which answer the question “What do we want the student to learn?”. Next, each performance indicator has several learning outcomes, which answer “How do we know that the student has learned?”. Explore the standards in depth:
- Discipline Standards
Further readings on ACRL Information Literacy Standards
- MSCHE (Middle States Commission on Higher Education)
- NEASC-CIHE (New England Association of Schools and Colleges - Commission on Institutions of Higher Education)
- NCA-HLC (North Central Association of Colleges and Schools The Higher Learning Commission)
- NWCCU (Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities)
- SACS (Southern Association of Colleges and Schools) Commission on Colleges (COC)
- WASC-ACCJC (Western Association of Schools and Colleges Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges)
- WASC-SCUC (Western Association of Schools and Colleges Senior Colleges and Universities Commission)
Further readings on Accreditation.
- Council of Australian University Librarians (CAUL)
- Australian and New Zealand Information Literacy Framework
- SCONUL Seven Pillars of Information Literacy
- JISC i-Skills
- Definition of Information Literacy CILIP UK
- Scotland National Information Literacy Framework
- UNESCO Information Literacy
- IFLA Information Literacy: An International State of the Art Report