Standards & Practices
Explore the ACRL Information Literacy Competency Standards for Higher Education as well as related accreditation and international guiding documents.
On, January 18, 2000, the ACRL Standards Committee and the ACRL Board of Directors reviewed and approved the Information Literacy Competency Standards for Higher Education.
In July of 2011, ACRL formed a Task Force charged to recommend retaining the existing standards, revising the standards, or eliminating the standards. The task force recommended that the standards be extensively revised. Towards that end, the ACRL Information Literacy Competency Standards for Higher Education Task Force is revising the standards slated for publication in the summer of 2014.
CHARGE: Update the Information literacy competency standards for higher education so that they reflect the current thinking on such things as the creation and dissemination of knowledge, the changing global higher education and learning environment, the shift from information literacy to information fluency, and the expanding definition of information literacy to include multiple literacies, e.g., transliteracy, media literacy, digital literacy, etc. Information Literacy Task Force Homepage
Further Readings on the revisions to the ACRL Information Literacy Framework
- Each standard is divided into several performance indicators, which answer the question “What do we want the student to learn?”. Next, each performance indicator has several learning outcomes, which answer “How do we know that the student has learned?”. Explore the standards in depth:
- Discipline Standards
Further readings on ACRL Information Literacy Standards
- MSACS (Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools) [pdf]
- NWCCU (Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities): I cannot find direct mention of IL?
- NCACS (North Central Association of Colleges and Schools): I cannot find direct mention of IL?
- SACS (Southern Association of Colleges and Schools) Commission on Colleges (COC) site search yields resultes (QEP)
- WASC (Western Association of Schools and Colleges) site search yields results
Further readings on Accreditation.
- Council of Australian University Librarians (CAUL)
- Australian and New Zealand Information Literacy Framework
- SCONUL Seven Pillars of Information Literacy
- JISC i-Skills
- Definition of Information Literacy CILIP UK
- Scotland National Information Literacy Framework
- UNESCO Information Literacy
- IFLA Information Literacy: An International State of the Art Report
- UNESCO & IFLA InfoLit Global