Managing Change in Academic Libraries
An ACRL e-Learning Online Course
October 13-November 3, 2014
Description: Change can be difficult to deal with in any workplace, but the fast pace of change in libraries is particularly difficult. Designed for library supervisors who will need to lead staff (at any level) through change, learn about the potential impact of the stress of change, and how to properly prepare others and one’s self for change. Examine the most common responses to change and how to deal with them, effective responses to change and how to instill them in others.
- Participants learn how different people approach change and how to help people to feel more comfortable with change
- Participants learn the importance of communication and a well organized project to an effective and healthy change
- Participants learn practical techniques like risk assessment, cost benefit analysis and some service assessments and how they can contribute positively to helping colleagues through a change.
Activities: Course activities include:
- a personal change resiliency profile
- an organizational change characteristics survey
- conduct a risk assessment and force field analysis on a real world example of a change.
Presenter: Kimberly Sweetman, Training Consultant
Course Requirements: Your participation will require approximately three to five hours per week of primarily asynchronous activities to:
- Read the online seminar material
- Post to online discussion boards
- Synchronous chat sessions (optional)
- Complete online exercises
- Complete a seminar evaluation form
ACRL member: $135
ALA member: $175
How to register:
Go to the ALA Online Learning registration page.
Scroll down to the month when the course is offered.
Select the "Register" link next to the course name.
You will need to log in with your ALA ID & password. If you do not have an ALA ID & password, you will be asked to create one in order to register.
Course access instructions will be sent out one business day prior to the start of the course.
Class size is limited to 60 participants. Full refunds will be granted up to one business day prior to the start of the course.
Member rates apply to personal memberships only. Want to join ACRL or ALA? Complete the online membership form, available on the ALA Web site. If you join ALA/ACRL within five days of registering, we will adjust your fee (please fax a copy of your completed registration form to ACRL at 312-280-2520 ).
Questions should be directed to Margot Conahan at firstname.lastname@example.org.