EBSS 2014 Midwinter Meeting Schedule & Agendas
Agendas will be added as they become available.
EBSS Executive Committee
- Call to order
- Approval of the agenda
a. Minutes of the July 1, 2013, EBSS Executive Committee Midwinter, approved virtually on July 11, 2013.
- Officer Reports
- Old Business
a. Update: funding for distinguished librarian award – Scott
b. Award for new librarian – Vanessa
- New Business
a. EBSS Facebook Presence Proposal
b. Candidate slates for distinguished librarian award
- Other items
EBSS Advisory Council
- Approval of Agenda
a. Minutes of the June 30, 2013, EBSS Advisory Council Annual meeting, approved July 10, 2013. See http://connect.ala.org/node/209728
- Officer Reports
b. Vice Chair
c. Past Chair
e. Members At-Large
- Committee Reports (Note: If you cannot attend, please send your committee reports directly to Merrie Alynn Davidson, at firstname.lastname@example.org)
• Communication Studies
• Conference Program Planning
• Curriculum Materials
• Distinguished EBSS Librarian Award
• Electronic Resources in Communication Studies
• ERIC Users
• Higher Education
• Instruction for Educators
• Membership and Orientation
• Online Learning Research
• Publications and Communications
• Reference Sources and Services
• Research Committee
• Scholarly Communication Committee
• Social Work/Social Welfare
- Other Business
Communication Studies Committee
- Updated draft survey on liaison roles
- Las Vegas media tour update
- Journalism information literacy standards projects
- ACRL Visual Literacy Competency Standards for Higher Education: http://www.ala.org/acrl/standards/visualliteracy
Conference Program Planning Committee
Date: Sunday, January 28, 2014
Location: Pennsylvania Convention Center, room 110A
- Welcome & Introductions (ANSS and EBSS program committee members welcome)(S. Weimer & R. Alexander)
- Request volunteer take notes
- Summary of Telephone Conference (S. Collard)
- Speaker Liaison Activities (DP, SAC, SG, SW, RA, PM)
- Publicity Activities (DP, SAC, LK, GST)
- Day – of Organization (SAC, JB, DP, TB, JB (Jenny))
- Post Conference Activities (CC)
- Preparing timeline for finalizing plans
- Preparing a Contacts list
- Google docs for continuing planning
Curriculum Materials Committee
Date: February 12, 2014
Time: 1:00PM EST
Connection Information: https://sas.elluminate.com/m.jnlp?sid=2012752&username=&password=M.43F7CFD3DE8107BA9023213427D7D3\
- Introduction and Roll Call
- Approval of Minutes
- Discussion of Charge to Revise the 2009 Guidelines for Curriculum Materials Centers--http://www.ala.org/acrl/standards/guidelinescurriculum
- Update on CMC Directory
- Marketing CMCs to Administrators, Faculty, and students
- New Business
- Next meeting--ALA Annual--Saturday, June 28, 2014
ERIC Users Group
Date: Monday, January 13, 2014
Time: 3:00 p.m. Eastern time
Conference call: Dial-in number: 605-475-3200, Participant access code: 417027#
Welcome & Introductions
Call for additions/revisions to the agenda
ERIC UpdateA. Selection policyB. PDF restoration processC. Resuming indexingD. Topic pagesE. ERIC webinarsF. Open access
Questions/ comments from the committee
Instruction for Educators Committee
- Welcome and Introductions
- Finalizing the Rubric:
- 2-3 people needed to give it a final read for consistency.
- Introduction to the rubric - What would we like it to say?
- Next steps
- Impact of the ACRL IL Standards revision on our committee work?
- Possible future projects:
- Connecting the Standards wiki http://wikis.ala.org/acrl/index.php/Connecting_the_Standards
- Connecting the ACRL standards with NCATE
- How to educate pre-service teachers about OA education journals and assessing their quality
See more information below about these proposed projects (reprinted from 2011 meeting minutes):
How to educate pre-service teachers about OA education journals and assessing their quality. This is seen as an important project because teachers leave their institutions and lose access to a lot of the resources they have and at the same time are asked to make evidence- and research-based decisions. Different states have resources available state wide that teachers can use, and school libraries on a district wide level may have subscription resources, too. Promotion of OA publications and strategies for teaching about OA journals may be worth pursuing.
Connecting the ACRL standards with NCATE (etc). Concern was raised that many education faculty members won’t give time to anything that isn’t addressed in the NCATE standards. This was part of the original idea behind the Connecting the Standards website – a way to connect in a matrix ARCL standards with other K-12 standards. Now that the Information Literacy Standards for Teacher Education have been approved, new efforts should be made to show the connections to teaching faculty. The Committee could develop a document or strategy for this type of outreach/communication.
Membership and Orientation Committee
Date: Wednesday, Jan. 15
Time: 12:00-1:00 pm (Central time)
Conference Call: dial: (605) 475-4000, and enter this access code: 908241#
- Welcome (2 mins)
- Updates: Get-together at Midwinter; facebook proposal -Ericka
- Report on Membership and statistics -Ericka (5 mins)
New, dropped, reinstated membership
- Annual Social (10 min)
Brain storm locations, date, time (Las Vegas, June 26-July 1) Friday, June 27?
- Other duties at Annual
- Mentoring or other projects?
- Consider Chair position for 2014 (5 mins)
- Check-in virtual working meeting (5 mins)
Date range for meeting?
Online Learning Research Committee
- Welcome and introductions. (5 minutes)
- APA News & Updates(20 minutes)
Guest Speaker: Susan Hillson, Manager, Customer Relations
PsycINFO / APA Publications & Databases
- Open Access Journals in Psychology List(15 minutes)
Updates from Jennifer / Barbara / JoAnn
- Resources for Psychology Librarians(15 minutes)
Revisions to Wiki Pages
Link to Wiki: http://wikis.ala.org/acrl/index.php/Resources_for_Psychology_Librarians
- Action items and conclusion (5 minutes)
Publications and Communications Committee
- Welcome and Introductions
- Brief Announcements & Follow-Ups from Annual
- Approval of Document Revisions*
- Discussion items
- a. CMC Directory proposal*
- b. Review draft of revised navigation structure for EBSS website*
- c. EBSS Facebook page proposal*
- Updates from committee members
- Wrap-up and any other items
Research Forum Committee
- Recruit volunteers to:
- Write acceptance and rejection emails (we have versions used in previous years)
- Create flyers for the forum
- Arrive early to help set up
- Take pictures of the forum
- Write a report of the forum for the EBSS Newsletter
- Review timeline
- Proposals due Friday, February 14, 2014
- Second virtual meeting week of March 3-7
- Review and select proposals
- Update on the session (time, length of forum; room assignment)
- Promotion and advertising (write ad/handout, send to listservs, create poster)
- Discussion of forum format; welcomes, introductions, speakers, etc.
- Volunteer needed for presentation liaison (gather info for forum ad/handout, ask presenters about requirements – outlets, table?)
- Current Status of Proposals
- Number of proposals so far
- Additional promotion needed?
- Additional Business/Wrap-up
Social Work/Social Welfare Committee
Adobe Connect Information
- Adobe Connect has recently updated their software. When you log-in, you may notice a screen asking you to install the add-in. If you click “yes,” the update will install in about 20-30 seconds. You may need to complete the audio setup wizard after installing the add-in.
- Use Firefox, if possible -- Internet Explorer and Chrome seem to have some issues.
- Make certain you have an updated version of Flash.
- Only use PDF or PPT files.
- You will need a headset for VoIP. If you are using a machine with a built-in microphone, you will need to disable the built-in microphone and enable the microphone on your headset (a USB headset is best).
- Once you enter Adobe Connect (you will sign in as a guest -- so no log-in is needed), you will need to click on the speaker and microphone icons to activate -- both need to be GREEN.
- Please allow a few minutes to get in and test your audio, etc. before the start time.
- To test audio, click on ‘Meeting’ in upper left corner. Choose the audio set-up wizard. Click through every step, making sure the dropdown is set to your USB headset, and click through to the very last screen. IMPORTANT: You must click all the way through the audio wizard in order to save your selections.