Arts Section Meeting Minutes: Executive Committee/General Meeting ALA Midwinter 2013

Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL) Arts Section, ALA

Executive Board and General Membership Meeting Minutes

ALA Midwinter Conference 2012

Wednesday, February 6, 2013, 1:00 p.m. EST

Virtual Meeting via Conference Call

 

Officers
Chair: Alessia Zanin-Yost
Past Chair: Claudia Covert
Vice Chair: Sara Harrington
Secretary: Ann Medaille

Attendees
Jacalyn Bryan (Saint Leo University), Tom Caswell (University of Florida), Michael Colby (Music Library Association), Yvette Cortes (Skidmore College), Claudia Covert (Rhode Island School of Design), Eric Kidwell (Huntingdon College), Helice Koffler (University of Washington), Ann Medaille (University of Nevada, Reno), Judith Thomas (University of Virginia), and Alessia Zanin-Yost (Western Carolina University)

Agenda
The meeting convened at 1:08 p.m. EST.

 

Welcome and Introductions

A. Zanin-Yost, in her role as chair, welcomed virtual meeting attendees and all introduced themselves.

 

Minutes

The minutes of the Annual 2012 Arts Section Executive Board and General Membership meeting minutes were approved with no revisions.

 

General Announcements

A. Zanin-Yost announced that notes from Midwinter need to be in by February 15. They can be posted to ALA Connect or sent directly to Alessia.

 

Reports

Report on ACRL Leadership Council (Alessia Zanin-Yost)

A resolution was made about having a school librarian degree and membership dues. Information about membership changes will be posted by ALA. Information about dues will be sent to the Arts list serve and posted on the website.

Report from ARLIS/NA Liaison, IFLA (Tom Caswell)

IFLA – The 2012 IFLA Congress was held in Helsinki in August. The theme for the Congress was “Libraries Now! Inspiring, Surprising, Empowering.” T. Caswell is a member of the standing committee for the Art Libraries section, which hosted an open session with four panelists on the integration of open library resources. They also talked about the integration of art databases within some of the larger aggregators. The Art Libraries section agreed to no longer publish an updated version of their Multilingual Glossary for Art Librarians. The 2013 IFLA meeting will be in Singapore, August 17-23, and the theme is “Future Libraries: Infinite Possibilities.” The 2014 Congress will be France. T. Caswell reported on the interesting contacts that could be made with librarians from around the world through participation in IFLA.

ARLIS/NA – The 2013 ARLIS/NA Conference will be in Pasadena, April 24-29, and the theme is “Crafting Our Future.” The 2014 conference will be in Washington, D.C. The ARLIS virtual mentoring program is well underway and is being supervised by Rachel Resnick and the Mentoring Subcommittee. The Executive Board approved a new Digital Humanities Special interest Group. Carole Ann Fabian will be the new Vice President, and Greg Most will be the next President.

Midwinter 2013 Report – Dance Section (Helice Koffler)

The Dance Librarians Discussion Group met at the Midwinter Meeting. About 10 people turned out. A representative from Alexander Street Press came to talk about a new platform for hosting video content, and a local dance critic also talked about documentation of dance. They also had a tour of the historic theatre library in the Paramount. The group will be having a virtual meeting on February 15 at 2:00 p.m. At the virtual meeting, Elizabeth Kendall will be talking about research from her forthcoming book on Balanchine. The group is also looking for a new co-chair.

Midwinter 2013 Report – Virtual Presentations (Yvette Cortes)

On January 30, the Midwinter Virtual Discussion Forum was held. There were three speakers: Chloe Barnett, Sarah Falls, and Susan Thomas.  About 20 people attended. The presentations will be shared on the Arts website by next week.

Report on Arts-ARLIS/NA Joint Webinar (Claudia Covert/Yvette Cortes)

The first joint webinar was held between ARLIS/NA and the Arts Section. There were two speakers: Tina Chan (who spoke about faculty who were artists in their own time) and Annette Haines (who spoke on workplace creativity). There were 47 attendees, but only five were from the Arts Section. There were many more registrants, but people could only register as individuals so the total number of attendees may not have accounted for those who were watching the presentation as a group. The presentation slides are on both websites. The planners have been documenting the process through Google Docs for the planning of future webinars. The planners liked the idea of having each group pick a speaker.

Report on Arts Section Manual (Sara Harrington) 

The manual may not be as necessary as it once had been, but good information has been received about which parts are most beneficial. S. Harrington will post a revision of the manual for everyone to review. She will get in touch with Megan Griffin in order to have some questions answered and to provide more accurate information for the committee chairs.

 

Old Business

Theatre Librarian Discussion Group (Joe Tally)

No report given.

Emerging Leaders (Eric Kidwell)

The Arts and Literatures in English Sections made their top selections about who to co-sponsor as an Emerging Leader, and their first choice was selected: Julie Judkins from the University of Michigan. After verifying whether or not Judkins is currently a member of the Arts Section, E. Kidwell and A. Zanin-Yost will send her an invitation to join the Arts list serve and to attend some Arts meetings and programs in Chicago.

 

New Business

Schedule for ALA Annual June 27-July 2 (Alessia Zanin-Yost)

Saturday June 29:

8:30-10:00 a.m. Arts Executive Meeting and Chairs Committees Members

10:30-11:30 a.m. Presentations (Room will be set up with LCD projector, AV cart, and standing podium. Need to bring laptop.)

Sunday June 30:

10:30-11:30 a.m. All Members Meeting

1:00-4:00 p.m. All Committees/Discussion Groups Meeting

Liaisons will report at the Sunday morning meeting (or the Sunday afternoon meeting, if that works better). Alessia will work out a more detailed schedule with explanations so members know where to go.

 

Reports of Committee Chairs/Discussion Group Conveners

Nominating (Claudia Covert)

Yen Tran will run unopposed for Chair. Michael Pearce will run unopposed for Secretary. The Committee had a couple of other people in mind, which they can share with next year’s Nominating Committee.

Program Planning 2013 (Judith Thomas)

The 2013 conference program will be held from 3:00-4:00 on Sunday, June 30. The Committee had to modify the program plans for the one-hour time slot. The program will focus on digital scholarship in the arts with a strong performing arts slant, and there will be two speakers. Each speaker will have a 20-minute window to talk about their own work and the implications for the profession. The Committee will ask the Theatre Library Association if they would to like to cosponsor this session in good faith (not monetary). C. Covert suggested that they inform ACRL in case TLA needs to be in the program information. The program is also cosponsored by VRT. E. Kidwell noted that the program will overlap with the last hour of the All Committees/Discussion Groups Meetings. Participants may want to plan to end their meetings before 3:00 so that people can make it to the program. A. Zanin-Yost will include a note about this in the meeting descriptions.

Strategic Planning (Michael Pearce)

No report was given.

Membership & Outreach (Regan Brumagen)

No report was given.

Publications & Research (Yvette Cortes)

The Committee completed the Seattle Arts Guide and is currently working on an Indianapolis Arts Guide for ACRL. They are also planning a Discussion Forum for Annual and are putting together a members’ publication page. The Committee is small at the moment with only two members. A. Zanin-Yost asked that they email her if they need extra help. The Committee will send out a call for participants for the Discussion Forum for Annual. A. Zanin-Yost suggested moving the deadline up for the call for participants, so that people could plan accordingly. A date for Discussion Forum is forthcoming.

Digital Technologies and the Arts (Susan Weisner)

No report was given. A. Zanin-Yost asked whether this committee is still active. C. Covert believed that they had met at Annual.  The Digital Arts Discussion Group was born out of the Digital Technologies and the Arts Committee. There was a question about whether they wanted to be a committee or a discussion group. A. Zanin-Yost will contact both groups about what they would like to do.

Digital Arts Discussion Group

See above.

Dance Librarian Discussion Group (Helice Koffler)

The group will be meeting at Annual on Sunday from 1:00 to 3:00. H. Koffler hopes to arrange some kind of tour during Annual.

Film & Broadcast Librarian Discussion Group

A. Zanin-Yost asked whether this group is still active. C. Covert noted that the new chair did not show up at the discussion forum at Annual, and she tried to reach out but did not receive any feedback. E. Kidwell noted that this group has been very active in the past. He suggested that they send out a call on the list to find out more.

Theater Librarian Discussion Group (Diana King/Joe Tally)

No report was given.

Music Library Association Representative (Stephanie Bonjack)

M. Colby presented on behalf of S. Bonjack. The MLA annual meeting is being held at the end of February in San Jose. There will be a pre-conference about music cataloguing and RDA. They are going to look at making the content into a webinar so as to reach a broader audience. There are almost 400 registrants for the meeting, which is close to their usual attendance.

 

Member Announcements

T. Caswell reported that the University of Florida closed their music library last month and is integrating their music collection into their Architecture and Fine Arts Library.

The meeting adjourned at 1:57 p.m. EST.

 

Respectfully submitted,
Ann Medaille, Arts Section Secretary