ACRL Preconference @ ALA Annual Conference
Friday, June 21, 2019
8:00am - 4:00pm
Research data management has emerged as a need among academic researchers and liaisons are building skills in response. This one-day preconference will assist liaisons to identify their existing skills and mindsets that transfer to research data management services and then create a learning plan for the RDM specific knowledge needed to serve their subject disciplines. Tools, hints, and tricks will be shared that facilitate partnerships on campus with disciplinary faculty and with other RDM service providers.
Workshop participants will be able to. . .
- Identify data within the research process and lifecycle in order to articulate the role of the libraries in the management of data to researchers.
- Learn how to develop expertise in the nuances of disciplinary requirements for data management in order to educate their faculty and students about data best practices for their discipline.
- Articulate specific existing skills that they already possess as librarians which transfer to data services in order to begin building a toolkit of research data management skills.
- Identify campus partners in research data management in order to create an environment of research data management support for their faculty.
- Articulate the parts of a data management plan in order to describe its role as a living document within a research project.
- Apply their relevant prior knowledge of their disciplines in order to create a research data management interview plan in order to facilitate faculty engagement.
Who Should Attend
This workshop is intended for liaisons who are seeking to engage with research data management for the first time, or who have a very basic knowledge of research data management. This workshop is an introductory level experience. Attendees are not expected to have previous experience with research data management. The primary audience is subject liaison librarians, secondary audience include senior library administrators, middle management and department heads, and technical services librarians and staff. Other campus partners such as Office of Research, Sponsored Programs, Technology Transfer, IRB, or campus IT may be interested but would be a tertiary audience.
Abigail Goben, MLS is an Associate Professor and Liaison Librarian at the University of Illinois at Chicago Library of the Health Sciences, where she serves as liaison to the College of Dentistry and collaborates with faculty on research data management. Her research focuses on institutional data policies, educational needs in research data management, and open access. Goben is engaged with efforts on campus surrounding research data management and data governance for the University of Illinois Hospital and Health Sciences System. Beyond UIC, Goben is active with the Library Information Technology Association and Association for College and Research Libraries.
Laura Palumbo, MLIS, PE, is the Chemistry & Physics Librarian and Science Data Specialist at Rutgers University Libraries in New Brunswick, NJ. She liaises with departments in the physical sciences, and coordinates efforts, identifies opportunities, and develops services for the access and preservation of data for the Rutgers New Brunswick scientific research community. She conducts workshops with campus partners on various aspects of research data sharing and reuse, bringing together faculty and students from departments across the New Brunswick Campuses. Her research focus is engagement with science communities and research data services in academic libraries. She is active in several professional organizations, and serves as the Assistant Editor of Practical Academic Librarianship.
How to register
Access the ALA Annual Conference registration materials to submit your registration. The preconference code is ACR1.
Want to add this event to an existing registration? Visit your dashboard link, which can be found in your confirmation email. If you need additional assistance or cannot locate your confirmation, please call CompuSystems at 866-513-0760 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
ACRL member - $255
ALA member - $295
Other member - $295
Nonmember - $335
Questions? Contact Margot Conahan at email@example.com.