Navigating Without a Chart: Perspectives on the Basics of Acquisitions
- 2:00 PM-3:00 PM (Eastern)
- 1:00 PM-2:00 PM (Central)
- 12:00 PM-1:00 PM (Mountain)
- 11:00 AM-12:00 PM (Pacific)
Are you a relatively new recruit to the world of acquisitions? Then this engaging, interactive introduction to the basics of this field is for you. Two acquisitions librarians and a library director will share their insights and diverse viewpoints while exploring various approaches and methods that can help acquisitions librarians set sail on a successful career voyage.
Explore a wide array of issues ranging from best practices for acquiring both monographs and serials in all formats to helpful tips to use when negotiating for large database and backfile purchases. Learn the similarities and differences between acquisitions and collection development and how the use of those terms can vary from library to library. Grasp strategies for scheduling and offering campus-wide trials of new resources, for selecting vendors, and for making ordering decisions. Compare academic and vendor budget cycles, learn how important these cycles can be to the timing of purchases, examine options for negotiating prices and access to resources, discuss possible licensing pitfalls and how to avoid them, and consider effective methods of communication with campus constituents.
- Gain a greater understanding of the overall scope of acquisitions and be better able to critically evaluate the opportunities available to them when negotiating for and ordering resources.
- Learn about options and services provided by vendors that you may not have realized were possible.
- Gain an enhanced understanding of specific strategies that can help you better utilize the options, resources, and support structures available in your career in library acquisitions.
Who Should Attend
Acquisitions librarians, people brand new to the topic, people with some experience in the topic but looking to grow
Jeff Bailey, Library Director, Arkansas State University
Linda Creibaum, Acquisitions and Serials Librarian, Arkansas State University
Star Holloway, Serials Access Librarian, Arkansas State University
ACRL member: $50
ALA member: $75
* Webcasts take place in an interactive, online classroom environment with one user/one login. If you select the group rate, one person must register, login, and keyboard during the event. A group registration allows an institution to project the Webcast to participants in the same location.
How to Register
Go to the Online Registration page.
Locate the webcast by the date of the event.
Select the "Register" link next to the Webcast title on ALA's webcast registration page (linked above).
You will need to log in with your ALA ID & password. If you do not have an ALA ID & password, you will be asked to create one in order to register.
Webcasts will be recorded and made available to registrants as an archive, so if you sign up but cannot attend the live event, you will receive the archived webcast recording.
ACRL Webcasts are held in an Adobe Connect virtual classroom. Speakers or a headset for listening to the presentation are required. You may ask questions through text-based chat. Adobe works on both PC and Apple platforms.