Board of Directors
The composition and the duties of the Board of Directors are defined in Article IX of the ACRL Bylaws; Board of Directors. The Board of Directors shall have general oversight and direction of the affairs of the Association. It shall conduct all business pertaining to the Association, and shall have authority to make decisions for the Association during the periods between meetings.
Displaying active committee roster as of 07/01/2013. Last retrieved on 08/27/2016. Members can log in to view full contact information for committee members.
Public Posts from ALA Connect
- Do you approve changes to the CLS Innovation Award criteria?
- Pre-vote Discussion: 8/9/16–8/15/16 CLS Innovation Award criteria
- Pre-vote discussion: 8/9/16–8/15/16 Annual Conference 2016 Proceedings
- ACRL Leadership Council Agenda & Documents - Annual Conference
- Do you approve the Standards for Distance Learning Library Services?
- Board Orientation
- Board Update
- Board of Directors Meeting II
- Board of Directors Meeting I
- Pre-vote Discussion: 5/20/16–5/26/16 Standards for Distance Learning Library Services
ACRL Bylaws article IX section 1 states the Board of Directors shall consist of the officers of the Association, the chair of the Budget & Finance Committee, the ACRL councilor, and eight elected directors-at-large. The ACRL executive director shall be an ex-officio member without vote.
In 1889, a group of 13 college librarians caucused at the Annual Conference in St. Louis and recommended that a college library section be formed.
In 1897 the section acquired a new name, the College and Reference Library Section (to recognize the participation of reference librarians) and, after the turn of the century, began to select officers to plan annual meetings. Not until 1923, however, did the section adopt its own bylaws.
In 1936 the chair of the section appointed a Committee on Reorganization to develop plans for restructuring the section. The final report of the committee in 1938 recommended the adoption of new bylaws that would transform the section into an Association of College and Reference Libraries with full autonomy over its own affairs. The new bylaws provided for the creation of subsections within the association for college libraries, junior college libraries, teachers college libraries, university libraries, and other groups that might wish to affiliate.
The section approved the proposed bylaws in June 1938 and officially became the Association of College and Reference Libraries (ACRL) by the end of the year. The ALA Council responded by ratifying a new ALA constitution that made provision for the creation of self-governing divisions within ALA, entitled to receive a share of ALA dues. ACRL swiftly prepared a new constitution to meet the conditions for division status, and the ALA Council recognized ACRL as ALA's first division on May 31, 1940.