Review Process for the Publication Award Candidates
IS Awards Committee: Reviewing the Literature for Publication Award Candidates
For the Rockman Publication of the Year Award, the committee solicits external nominations, and it also conducts a thorough review of the relevant literature. The literature review activity is undertaken in order to have as comprehensive a pool as possible from which to base its selection. This document provides an overview of the literature review process and the individual and collective responsibilities of committee members for generating a pool of candidates for the award. Qualified publications may include journal articles, books, chapters in edited books, and conference papers published within the two years prior to the award year.
Identifying Relevant Publications
- Members of the committee conduct the initial literature review for the specified period of time under consideration using appropriate search tools, suggested search limiters and subject headings. The initial search needs to be completed by September 1.
- One member compiles all lists, removes duplicates and sends the completed lists to the full committee for review by the end of the first week in September.
- For this initial review, Awards committee members are divided into review teams. If at all possible, a returning committee member is paired with a new committee member.
- Each review pair is responsible for reviewing the abstracts only of about one fifth of the items on the complete list. Pairs should use the guidelines listed on the Rockman Award Guidelines & Evaluation Sheet. During their review, pairs discuss and double check each other’s nominations.
- Each pair selects publications worthy of consideration and sends the citations for these to the IS Awards Co-Chairs (or designees).
- For journal articles and conference papers, each pair is responsible for obtaining these in electronic format (if available) and distributing the electronic copies to all committee members.
- For books and book chapters, citations are sufficient.
- The IS Awards Co-Chairs (or designees) consolidate the review list and distribute it to the committee. For this review, all members are responsible for reviewing the complete document for all items on this nomination list.
- If an item is not electronically available, committee members are responsible for obtaining the work.
External nominations are due to the IS Awards Co-Chairs in early December. Nominations are accompanied by a letter of recommendation that clearly states how the nominated publication fits the award criteria. Once the deadline has passed, the IS Awards Co-Chairs review all external submissions, add all nominations meeting the submission criteria to the review list, and send out a revised final nominations list to the Awards committee with instructions to review before deliberating over and deciding upon the winner by the end of the ALA Midwinter meeting.