EBSS Committee Meeting Highlights and MinutesALA Midwinter 2008 in Philadelphia

Executive Committee
Advisory Council
2008 Program Planning Committee
2009 Program Planning Committee
Communication Studies
Curriculum Materials
EBSS Distinguished Education and Behavioral Sciences Librarian Award
Electronic Resources in Communication Studies
ERIC Users Group
ERIC Users Forum
Higher Education
Information Literacy Steering Committee (Ad Hoc)
Instruction for Educators
Membership & Orientation
Mentorship (Ad Hoc)
Nominating
Online Learning Research
Psychology/Psychiatry
Publications & Communications
Reference Sources and Services
Research Committee
Social Work/Social Welfare

 


Committee Name: Executive Committee
Time and place convened: 

 

Meeting Highlights:

Name of person submitting Minutes:  Sharon Naylor, Secretary
Members Present:
Members Excused:
Guests:

Minutes

 


Committee Name: Advisory Council
Time and place convened: 

 

Meeting Highlights:

Name of person submitting Minutes:
Members Present:
Members Excused:
Guests:

Minutes

 


Committee Name: 2008 Program Planning
Time and place convened: Sunday, January 13, 2008, 8:00-10:00a.m. Marriott Philadelphia, Room 501

 

Meeting Highlights:

Name of person submitting Minutes: Kate Corby
Members Present:

Stephanie Davis-Kahl; Penny Beile; Diane Schrecker; Tobey Birch; Deborah Schaeffer, presider and co-chair; Kate Corby, recorder and co-chair.
Members Excused:
Guests:

1.      Discussion of publicity plans 

Diane has developed some art for the program evaluation and volunteered to make a flyer for the program.  Kate will ask John Willinsky if he has an audio or video clip (brief only) that we can use to advertise the program.  If he does we will want to make that available in any email advertising we do.  We can also provide a link to his book:  The Access Principle.

ACRL will provide publicity in CRL News and American Libraries.  We will supplement with postings to various lists.  Deborah, Stephanie, Kate, and Penny all have list memberships that should be useful.  Kate will take care of getting any publicity we develop to our co-sponsors, at this point only Scholarly Communications Committee is confirmed.  We need to tell Megan of any additional co-sponsors.

Julie Todaro suggested we publicize on ACRL blogs, also noted that track information should be included on all publicity as much of what ALA puts out will be track focused, so knowing the track may help people remember/find the program.

 

2.      Assignment of remaining chores pre Anaheim

·        Evaluation form

Diane agreed to take charge of this.  She will give it a final polish and then send electronic copy to Deborah who will get copies made and bring them to Anaheim..

ACRL also wants us to compile the data from the forms.  They want totals from the responses to their mandatory questions by the end of August.  They are to be sent to Megan. (Megan Griffin mgriffin@ala.org)

Speaker contact (location, introduction text, etc.)

Kate and Stephanie will continue as speaker contacts.  All of our speakers have completed their speaker agreement forms.  Now we need to start sharing with them some of our plans and thoughts about the program.  We need to share the finalized program description:

Knowledge Wants to be Known: Open Access in the Social Sciences

 Expect an enthusiasm transfusion as we make the behavioral and social sciences the focus of an exploration of open access issues. These areas are rarely at the center of such discussions, but unique publishing practices in social disciplines make them worthy of special attention. Speakers representing faculty, librarians and publishers will provide factual background, current policy issues and high-energy inspiration. Learn which models are most utilized within social science areas, what leaders are saying and what individuals can do to make a difference in a publish or perish environment. This is EBSS's 40th Anniversary-all members are encouraged to attend; a brief awards ceremony (10 minutes) precedes program.

Speakers: John Willinsky, Professor, Stanford University School of Education; Ray English, Azariah Smith Root Director of Libraries, Oberlin College; Alison Mudditt, Executive Vice President, Higher Education Group, Sage Publications.

By mid February we need to tell each speaker exactly what equipment has been requested and confirm that this is appropriate for his or her presentation. 

In late April we will know our room assignment. In May we need to ask if they will have paper handouts or PowerPoint or any other such take-aways that we should make plans to deal with.  Also in May we need to ask the speakers for text to introduce them.  We plan to use this text to make a one-page bio summary as a handout.  Kate will prepare this and bring it to the meeting.

At some point in May ACRL will send a confirmation of our AV requests.  They suggest that we use this as an opportunity to confirm date time place and set up with each speaker.

·        Liaison with Psyc/Psyc and the Research Forum

Tobey will do this for Psyc/Psyc, as she is on the committee.  They are planning to have Linda Beebe as a publisher rep and have yet to identify a librarian and a faculty member to complete the group.  We welcome them to distribute flyers at the program and will also be sure to announce their program.

Kate will keep Melissa in the loop for the Research forum.

·        Anniversary gifts

It was suggested that we check with ACRL to see if they have an established relationship with some vendor.  Large minimum orders are not a problem as there will be many opportunities to distribute gifts.  Penny agreed to liaise with Membership for us on this.

·        Other Business

If SPARC gets involved we should ask them about bringing some of their literature as handouts as it is very high quality.

 

3.      Room preparation and other last minute duty assignments

·        Check set up and sound -- We will arrive at our room at 1 to check and do any last minute set up.

·        Man doors with handouts/etc.  – To be determined based on who’s available and what needs doing.

·        Timekeeper –Penny will do this.

·        Make sure banner and any handouts get to the room -- Penny is working on getting an improved banner.

·        Stephanie agreed to write up a summary for ACRL News

  • New Business – We exchanged contact information

 


Committee Name: 2009 Program Planning
Time and place convened: 

 

Meeting Highlights:

Major Topics- Discussion of ACRL program in 2009 Chicago.  Raising Research Standards.  Developing research methodology and building collaboration with faculty.  Connection with strategic plan: Learning goal and scholarship goal, continuous learning.

Name of person submitting Minutes:
Members Present:
Members Excused:
Guests:

Minutes

 


Committee Name: Communication Studies
Time and place convened: 

 

Meeting Highlights:

Major topics- progress on communication studies information literacy standards

Plan for continued work and outreach/feedback

Coordination with ILAC

Major decisions:
1 post draft to wiki

2. have rounds of edits on a monthly cycle

3. post to listservs

4. put final literature review on EBSS website

 

Name of person submitting Minutes:
Members Present:
Members Excused:
Guests:

Minutes

 


Committee Name: Curriculum Materials
Time and place convened: 

 

Meeting Highlights:

Major Topics – Updating of webliography and revision of Guidelines for CMC’s.

Major Decisions: Will have a draft of the proposed revisions of the Guidelines by annual.

 

Name of person submitting Minutes:
Members Present:
Members Excused:
Guests:

Minutes

 


Committee Name: Curriculum Materials Centers Directory (Ad Hoc)
Time and place convened: 

 

Meeting Highlights:

Name of person submitting Minutes:
Members Present:
Members Excused:
Guests:

Minutes

 


Committee Name: EBSS Distinguished Education and Behavioral Sciences Librarian Award
Time and place convened: 

 

Meeting Highlights:

Name of person submitting Minutes:
Members Present:
Members Excused:
Guests:

Minutes

 


Committee Name: Education Research Libraries Forum
Time and place convened: 

 

Meeting Highlights:

Name of person submitting Minutes:
Members Present:
Members Excused:
Guests:

Minutes

 


Committee Name: Electronic Resources in Communication Studies
Time and place convened:  1:30pm

 

Meeting Highlights:
The committee continued its work on: working with JSTOR, LOCKSS, and Portico in their effort to include communication studies journals in their scope/collections, updating and enhancing journals within the 3 communication studies databases.

Name of person submitting Minutes: Tasha Cooper 
Members Present: Sharon Black, Erica Carlson, Tasha Cooper, Lisa Romero (Chair), Elliot Kanter, Sharon Ladenson, Ken Liss, Cathy Michael
Members Excused: Jessica Albano, Jennifer Flaxbart, Adrian Ho, Vicki Lebbin (virtual), Darby Orcutt (virtual)
Guests: Consuella Askew, Jennifer Darragh, Cindy Dottin, Amanda Hornby, Sally Neal, Joyce Watson, Andy Young

Introductions, Greetings, Approval of Agenda

The meeting was convened at by Lisa Romero.  Lisa welcomed everyone and reviewed the agenda, which was approved (motion by Cathy Michael; second by Ken Liss).  Lisa pointed out that the meeting would focus on reports from each subcommittee, followed by discussion about future directions.  Introductions of members and guests followed.

 

Communication:

Lisa Romero reported that the Communication subcommittee has updated the web site and posted information about the updates.  The group created a link to searchable archives of the COMLIB-L list. 

 

Cathy Michael raised a question about official liaisons to professional organizations (recalling something about this posted on EBSS).  Discussion about liaison roles and possible benefits, including the question of financial support, followed.  Cathy noted that involvement with professional organizations, particularly those in which faculty are involved, provides a range of perspectives and the opportunity to network with faculty and others in the field.  Additional suggestions included participating in presentations at conferences and perhaps having a regular presence at exhibits with information about EBSS and what we do.

 

Lisa Romero suggested that we explore this, find out how other groups arranged for liaisonships, decide which organizations to approach, etc.  Tasha Cooper agreed to contact Kate Corby regarding the liaisonship with AERA (American Educational Research Association) and report back to the group. 

 

Elliot Kanter suggested we might consider joint representation from both EBSS communications committees.

 

Cathy Michael provided a brief summary of discussions at other group meetings at ALA mid-winter (noting that she is willing to report back to this group regularly on discussions of the Video Round Table).  She attended two sessions: the Digital Media Discussion Group (list on the VRT/Video Round Table page) talked about digital media; gaming; hardware; and licensing, etc.  She said that vendors, especially those from the Independent Film Distributors’ Licensing Consortium (Bullfrog Film, California Newsreel, First Run/Icarus, Films, and Women Make Movies) were in attendance.  Questions about how vendors can sell librarians digital media were discussed. 

 

The VRT also held a “Media Librarians Fair Use publication organization meeting” that initiated a draft for a “Best Practices in Fair Use” document inspired by a similar document presented by the Center for Social Media at the Round Tables pre-conference (Washington, D.C., 2007).   Lisa suggested Cathy report to the list, including contact information for those interested in finding out more. 

 

Amanda Hornby went to the ACRL Media Resources discussion group and will post the PowerPoint slides from that group on COMLIB-L. 

 

Lisa Romero noted that COMLIB-L list doesn’t belong to ALA or EBSS, and therefore is not limited just to ALA activities; anything of interest can be posted on COMLIB-L.

 

[Following the meeting, Cathy added the following references:

California Newsreel et. al., “The Independent Film Distributors’ Licensing Consortium, Digital Delivery of Video, Survey Report, July 17, 2007”

Center for Social Media, “Documentary Filmmakers’ Statement of Best Practices in Fair Use.”]

 

Evaluation and Assessment:

Lisa Romero reported that this subcommittee posted on the Communication Studies web page a list of criteria to evaluate electronic resources.  Members also worked on an in-depth spreadsheet of coverage of major communication studies databases.  Ken Liss reported on comparing Communication Abstracts; CIOS, and CMMC, looking at which journals are in each; years of coverage; how many citations for each; what is unique, etc.  This spreadsheet is available on the web site.

 

Sharon Black reported that this group is working to evaluate further whether vendors are indexing all articles, book reviews, inaugural editorials, etc.  They decided to pick four decades (1978, 1988, 1998, 2005), and do some searching and retrieving to determine the extent of the coverage. 

 

Group members expressed the need for time at the end of the meeting to meet. 

 

This group has also considered the liaisonship question discussed previously.

 

Elliot Kanter reported on applying the criteria they created to ComAbstracts, the database from CIOS. Lisa suggested this group might consider presenting the database analysis at a National Communication Association (NCA) conference or writing it up as an article.  Questions about timeliness were raised. 

 

A brief discussion about embargoes, journal/package prices, scholarly publication initiatives, and federal legislation followed. 

 

Cathy Michael asked for comments regarding the new LexisNexis (L/N) interface and the changes in resources, such as the polling information.  Responses included “daunting;” “counter intuitive;” one person noted that it is difficult to pick a source, but there are advantages in being able to search more sources at once. Cathy noted that the corporate affiliations resources may not be quite right yet.  She said that L/N is developing a wiki.  She will post information to the list about the wiki and polling information. 

 

Ken Liss noted that FACTIVA has an image database and quite a bit of multimedia content.  FACTIVA Search 2.0 leads to multimedia results through Everyzing, which includes podcasts, voice to text translation, etc.  Everyzing is also freely available.  Lisa encouraged Ken to post this information to COMLIB-L.  Elliott Kanter noted that FACTIVA includes regional editions of the Wall Street Journal.

 

Consuella Askew raised a question about public records in L/N.  Any updates?  If law students can have access to public records, why not graduate journalism students?  Cathy Michael said she uses Virtual Gumshoe for free public records and mentioned an older print source.  Lisa Romero will post a message to COMLIB-L to ask how students are getting access to public records information.   Cathy is willing to sign a petition. 

 

Lisa will make sure everyone present is on COMLIB-L and encourages everyone to share in discussions.

 

[Following the meeting, Cathy added the following references, which follow up on various aspects of the discussion:

 

 

Scholarly Communication:

Lisa Romero reported that the Scholarly Communication subcommittee has been investigating the state of archiving of communication studies journals in LOCKSS and PORTICO.  Darby Orcutt examined 130 titles, looking to see what is in PORTICO and what is in LOCKSS, and has a group of 41 titles for possible inclusion (titles that haven’t been archived, but need to be). 

 

Overall, the subcommittee is looking at three things: 

1) LOCKSS/PORTICO

2) JSTOR

3) Institutional repositories

 

The group identified a list of 25 titles for JSTOR, and Erica Carlson said the group is close to having a JSTOR letter ready to go out.  Erica will contact Mark to find out if the list of journals and letter are ready.  She will report back to Lisa by the end of January.

 

Elliot Kanter asked if the purpose is to recommend a communication collection or simply include more coverage of communication titles.  Erica Carlson responded that is it probably both.

 

The letter to publishers should include a list of names of committee members and their institutions. Cathy Michael suggested having a sample/form letter for publishers (saying something like:  the committee endorses LOCKSS or PORTICO and we hope you will consider archiving) and/or a letter we can all sign at annual. 

 

Regarding Institutional Repositories:  The subcommittee needs to look at what is being archived by institutions: what is available and what is “locked down”?  Is it too early to assess the IR situation?

 

Cathy Michael mentioned that she follows the ACRL scholarly communications listserv, SCHOLCOM, and that it focuses more on the sciences.  Cathy suggests that Phil Napoli’s initiatives on data are related.  Amanda will see whether she can find out more about SPARC’s initiatives in these areas and their mid-winter presentation.

 

Ken Liss noted that BostonCollege has an IR and one possible use may be archiving the multimedia/related material that did not appear with a print publication (images; TV; news programs, etc.).

 

Jennifer Darragh commented that the IR at her institution was less of interest to faculty because of publish or perish; but the “big sell” was for multimedia storage related to dissertations and theses.  She also noted that IRs could be used for “open data” (the storage of data gathered, especially through grant money, for secondary use).

 

Sharon Black said her school has joined Penn’s IR. They have posted “post-prints” (last drafts); faculty like this because the work becomes more accessible through Google.  If there is a hit on something in Penn’s IR, the author gets notification. 

 

Cathy Michael commented on the Social Sciences Research Network (SSRN), which has working papers and drafts.

 

Amanda Hornby participated in a faculty development workshop on new media and digital scholarship.  Faculty liked D-space, because they didn’t have to sign off on rights.  They are going to take this to their faculty group to see if the tenure process can be more open to these repositories of scholarship.

 

Jennifer Darragh commented on the value of access to working papers.

 

Wrapping up:  Erica Carlson will talk with Mark in January about the JSTOR letter and list of titles so far (for something to sign at ALA in Anaheim); Erica will contact Darby Orcutt and check on LOCKSS and PORTICO by the middle of February.  Lisa Romero said it might be useful to compare titles in LOCKSS and PORTICO.

 

Erica Carlson suggested that it would be helpful to do a survey of institutional repositories.

 

Lisa Romero distributed information from Adrian Ho regarding institutional repositories:

Lisa will contact Adrian and ask him to digest what he distributed in terms of communication studies.  Erica offered also to confer with a scholarly communication library colleague.

 

Sharon Black suggested it would be useful to find out how many communications departments and schools are taking part in institutional repositories (or not)? 

 

Tasha Cooper will post something to the COMLIB-L list saying that this committee is looking at IRs, and asking if anyone has one at their institution already or in planning stages, whether there are tidbits to share, etc., adding that anyone interested is welcome to attend our meetings.

 

[Following the meeting, Cathy added the following references:

eScholarship @ BC : http://escholarship.bc.edu/about.html

Scholarly Commons@Penn: http://repository.upenn.edu/mission.html

SSRNhttp://www.ssrn.com/

LOCKSShttp://www.lockss.org

PORTICO: http://www.portico.org/]

 

 

Website:

Lisa Romero reported that the website subcommittee has added, reviewed, and revised a lot of material.  There are still some areas that need to be revised: communication sciences and disorders (CS&D); media ratings; photojournalism; political communication; speech communication; list of special collections.  Sharon Black will work on political communication.  Everyone is encouraged to look at the list and possibly claim a topic.  Lisa will post a reminder.

 

New subjects?  Cathy Michael suggested gaming and is willing to work on it. Tasha Cooper will try to help.  Lisa Romero suggested looking at media ratings as a model.  Tasha will check with a colleague about CS&D.  Cathy suggested a visual communication resources (resources that provide images), but will work on gaming first.

 

Deadlines for web site work?  Revisions by June 15.  Please send revisions to the web site subcommittee first for comments.

 

Cathy Michael also suggested the possibility of lists for Internet video sites and Communication Studies blogs.  Cathy suggested sending out a call to these on COMLIB-L and VRT (she will do this).

 

 

Future Directions:

In the interests of time, discussion about future directions was tabled until annual, allowing some time for subcommittees to meet.

 

Lisa Romero said she would try to follow up on making the traveling JSTOR letter available at Anaheim.

 

 

Adjourned at (approx.)

 

Summary

 

Motions:  The agenda was accepted.

 

Action Items

  • Tasha Cooper agreed to contact Kate Corby to inquire about liaisonship with AERA (American Educational Research Association). 
  • Cathy Michael will post information on COMLIB-L about digital media and VRT discussions.
  • Amanda Hornby will post the ACRL Media Resources Discussion Group PowerPoint slides on COMLIB-L. 
  • Cathy Michael will post information to COMLIB-L about the LexisNexis wiki and polling information. 
  • Ken Liss will post to COMLIB-L information about FACTIVA and image searching/Everyzing.
  • Lisa Romero will post a message to COMLIB-L asking how students are getting access to public records information.  
  • Lisa Romero will make sure everyone at the meeting is on COMLIB-L.
  • Erica Carlson will contact Mark to find out if the list of JSTOR journals and letter are ready.  She will report back to Lisa by the end of January.
  • Amanda Hornby will see if she can find out more about SPARC’s initiatives and the mid-winter presentation.
  • Erica Carlson will talk with Mark about the JSTOR letter and list of titles so far (for something to sign at ALA in Anaheim) by mid-January.
  • Erica Carlson will contact Darby and check on LOCKSS and PORTICO by the middle of February. 
  • Lisa Romero will contact Adrian Ho and ask him if he can summarize or share a digest of what he distributed in terms of communication studies and IRs.
  • Lisa Romero will check with Adrian Ho about co-sponsorship plans at Anaheim
  • Tasha Cooper will post something to COMLIB-L regarding the committee’s interest in IRs.
  • Sharon Black will work on the political communication web page (deadline June 15).
  • Lisa Romero will post a call for volunteers for web pages needing updates.
  • Cathy Michael will work on a gaming page (possibly with Tasha).  Cathy also suggested a visual communication resources (resources that provide images) page, but will work on gaming first (deadline June 15).
  • Tasha Cooper will check with a colleague about updating the CS&D page (deadline June 15).
  • Cathy Michael also suggested lists for Internet video sites and Communication Studies blogs.  Cathy will send out a call for these on COMLIB-L and VRT.
  • Lisa said she would try to follow up on making the traveling JSTOR letter available at Anaheim.

     

Respectfully submitted,

Tasha Cooper

1/20/08; 1/27/08 version (incorporating input from committee members)

 

 

 


Committee Name: ERIC Users Group
Time and place convened: 

 

Meeting Highlights:

Major Topics -  The future of ERIC Users group was discussed.  Peer review (Christina Dunn talked about the work the NLE are doing to provide peer review information retrospectively.  She plans to come back to us at annual with a template.  Research methodology (no work has been done to make research methodologies a searchable field.  It is not part of the current CSC contract, but they are willing to investigate further). 

Major Decisions: There was general consensus that the committee should continue.  It was recommended that the scope be broadened to include more information from the Institute of Education Sciences.

 

Name of person submitting Minutes:
Members Present:
Members Excused:
Guests:

Minutes

 


Committee Name: Higher Education
Time and place convened: 

 

Meeting Highlights:

Major Topics – Current project: webpage for new librarians for higher education, faculty, and practitioners. 

Major Decisions: Will work on an annotated list of the above mentioned topic.  Leslie will email faculty members for recommendation for sites.  Recommended other members do the same at their respective institutions to compile a large list with annotations.

 

Name of person submitting Minutes:
Members Present:
Members Excused:
Guests:

Minutes

 


Committee Name: Information Literacy Steering Committee (Ad Hoc)
Time and place convened: 

 

Meeting Highlights:

Name of person submitting Minutes:
Members Present:
Members Excused:
Guests:

Minutes

 


Committee Name: Instruction for Educators
Time and place convened: 

 

Meeting Highlights:

Are currently working on standards for instruction.  Members have begun to work on individual standards as well as the literature review.  Hope to have a “complete” draft to review at annual.

Name of person submitting Minutes:
Members Present:
Members Excused:
Guests:

Minutes

 


Committee Name: Membership & Orientation
Time and place convened: 

 

Meeting Highlights:

Name of person submitting Minutes:
Members Present:
Members Excused:
Guests:

Minutes

 


Committee Name: Mentorship (Ad Hoc)
Time and place convened: 

 

Meeting Highlights:

Name of person submitting Minutes:
Members Present:
Members Excused:
Guests:

Minutes

 


Committee Name: Online Learning Research
Time and place convened: 

 

Meeting Highlights:

Major topics- previous projects (updated education librarians toolbox, finished public domain tests and measures wiki, statistical resources wiki). Ideas for new projects (collect development and retention polices on tools, guide on doing one on one consultations, grants, foundations, scholarships and loans, resources for dealing with questions from administrations, datasets, and reference tools).

Major decisions:  To update existing resources every other year, to make the test citation information on the test wiki uniform, to link to the existing resources in more places, to check online with the rest of the group on which project to start next. 

Name of person submitting Minutes:
Members Present:
Members Excused:
Guests:

Minutes

 


Committee Name: Psychology/Psychiatry
Time and place convened: 

 

Meeting Highlights:

Major topics- Information literacy standards project.  Panel discussion on open access at ALA Annual 2008.  Update of psychology core journals list.  Committee membership for 2008-2009.

Major decisions: we decided to proceed with our panel discussion on open access at ALA annual 2008 and established a working group to complete arrangements.  We established a working group to draft new criteria for the core journals list.  The group is charged with reporting its findings at annual 2008.  We agreed to proceed with psychology specific information literacy standards and discussed next steps.

Upcoming activities: Panel discussion on open access at ALA Annual 2008.

 

Name of person submitting Minutes:
Members Present:
Members Excused:
Guests:

Minutes

 


Committee Name: Publications & Communications
Time and place convened: 8:30 am to 10 am, Convention Center, Room 309 by Debora Cheney 

 

Meeting Highlights:

The Publications and Communications Committee worked on draft to revise the Publication Guidelines to encompass web page and other digital products of the committee to ensure they are guided by the publications process.  The draft will be forwarded to Executive Committee for Review at Annual Meeting (Anaheim, CA, 2008).

Name of person submitting Minutes: Debora Cheney
Members Present: Beth Broyles (Newsletter Editor), Judy Walker (Listserv Manager), Kathy Dobda, Jill Woolums, Joe Weber
Members Excused: Jessica Albano (Web Manager)
Guests: None

Agenda Items:

  1. Report and Discussion of EBSS Committee Liaisons –reviewed and updated (attached)

 

  1. EBSS Web site report and issues--Jessica Albano, EBSS Web Manager, submitted her report via e-mail:

“The site migrated to the new ALA content management system last Fall.

I've been fixing some of the navigation that didn't transfer to the new

system.  I'm still learning about some of the functions, so those

interested in web projects should email me about their projects and I'll

verify that the CMS will support what they want to do. The content on the site is up to date as of Friday, January 4.”

 

  1. Newsletter Report (Beth Broyles, Newsletter Editor)—Beth reported that she was waiting for the newsletter submit date; Newsletter seeks content, which should be submitted to her for inclusion in the Newsletter. Committee members offered to help proofread future issues before they go to press if she sends it out to our Committee members.  

 

  1. Review of website/publication proposal titled:  Connecting the Standards: The Intersection of Education and ACRL Information Literacy Standards from the Instruction for Educators Committee—proposal reviewed; suggestions will go directly to the Lori S. Mestre (on behalf of the AdHoc Committee on Best Instructional Practices—the committee proposing the publication.

 

  1. Provided the Committee members with updated copies of the EBSS Publications and Web Page Publication Grid (available on the EBSS—Publications and Communications Committee web site)—provided updates on publications still in process; noted corrections; grid to be updated for posting to EBSS website.

 

  1. Discussed revisions to EBSS Charge, EBSS Publication Approval Process, and a draft Digital  Publication Proposal Form.

Submitted  1/16/2008


Committee Name: Reference Sources and Services
Time and place convened: 

 

Meeting Highlights:

Major topics- previous projects (updated education librarians toolbox, finished public domain tests and measures wiki, statistical resources wiki). Ideas for new projects (collect development and retention polices on tools, guide on doing one on one consultations, grants, foundations, scholarships and loans, resources for dealing with questions from administrations, datasets, and reference tools).

Major decisions:  To update existing resources every other year, to make the test citation information on the test wiki uniform, to link to the existing resources in more places, to check online with the rest of the group on which project to start next.

 

Name of person submitting Minutes:
Members Present:
Members Excused:
Guests:

Minutes

 


Committee Name: Research Committee
Time and place convened: 

 

Meeting Highlights:

Major topics – ACRL Research Committee meets at same time as our committee.  They would like our input and representation.  Easels will be bought for meetings with support from EBSS.  Online research subcommittee suggested collaboration with another ACRL research committee to develop a wiki, online course, or pre-conference.

Major decisions: Buy easels for committee.  Talk with ACRL research committee/attend committee meeting on Monday to collaborate on online course and wiki.  Contact CLS about coaches to teach online course.  Online course with content rich course (library school professor, and working, publishing librarian).

Upcoming Activities: Research forum at ALA conference in Ahaheim

 

Name of person submitting Minutes:
Members Present:
Members Excused:
Guests:

Minutes

 


Committee Name: Social Work/Social Welfare
Time and place convened: 

 

Meeting Highlights:

Name of person submitting Minutes:
Members Present:
Members Excused:
Guests:

Minutes