Arts Section

Association of College and Research Libraries, American Library Association

2007 Midwinter Conference—Seattle, Washington

 

Minutes of the Executive Board and General Membership Meeting

Sunday, January 21, 2007, 10:30 a.m.- 12 p.m.

Grand Hyatt Seattle, Wine Cellar

 

Attendees: Hannah Bennett, Laurel Bliss, Adam Burling, Mary Carr, Tom Caswell, Claudia Covert, Brian Falato, Roland C. Hansen, Greg Hatch, Sara Harrington (recorder), Yuki Hibben, Beth Kerr, Eric Kidwell (Vice-Chair), Diana King, Laura McElfresh, Stephen Patrick, Jane Sloan, Ed Teague, Shannon Van Kirk (Chair), Alessia Zanin-Yost, Floyd Zula

 

AGENDA

 

The meeting was called to order at 10:36 a.m.

 

Welcome

Chair Shannon Van Kirk welcomed attendees to the meeting, and invited each attendee to introduce themselves in a round robin.  Shannon Van Kirk then introduced Mary M. Carr, who will serve as the liaison to the Arts Section from the ACRL Executive Board.

 

Minutes

The draft minutes of the ALA Midwinter 2006 Arts Section Executive Board and General Membership Meeting held on Sunday, June 25, 2006, 10:30 a.m.- 12 p.m. at the Marriott New Orleans at the Convention Center were approved as submitted.

 

Report of the 2006 Annual Program

The 2006 Annual Program “Preserving New Orleans: The Fate in Media Collections in the Wake of Katrina” was exceedingly well received.  The program drew attention to the necessity of preserving media collections by ensuring that they are held in secure storage facilities.  Thirty-nine attendees filled out program evaluations, and all were positive.  A report of the program appeared in C&RL News.

 

Old Business

Shannon Van Kirk continues to develop the Section’s liaison relationship with the Art Libraries Society of North America (ARLIS/NA) through ARLIS member Jeanne Brown.  Please email Shannon with any thoughts or suggestions regarding strengthening the Arts Section relationship with ARLIS/NA and the Visual Resources Association (VRA).

 

A brief discussion ensued on liaison relationships.  One attendee noted that at one point the Section had an official Liaisons Committee, but that the work of the Committee has perhaps been subsumed by the Membership and Outreach Committee.  While the charge of the Membership and Outreach Committee does not explicitly outline this responsibility, current Committee chair Claudia Covert indicated that she was willing to take on the responsibility, and would send a call for volunteers to the Section listserv.  Another attendee queried if the Section had made outreach efforts to the Association of Architecture School Librarians, and suggested that this might be a fruitful relationship to pursue.

 

Shannon Van Kirk noted that Arts Section programming does not appear in the ALA Annual 2007 preliminary program listings.  Adam Burling will ask that this oversight be corrected.  The Arts Section is co-sponsoring, with the Instruction Section, a program entitled, “Eye to I: Visual Literacy Meets Information Literacy.”

 

Shannon Van Kirk requested that Arts Section members vote for the Arts Section roster of candidates in the upcoming election, even thought the slate of candidates is running unopposed.  Good voter turnout for the Section indicates that we are an active and engaged section.  Shannon Van Kirk also shared election-related deadlines.

 

Arts Section meetings have in the past conflicted with programming offered by the Alexander Street Press.  Shannon Van Kirk contacted their Vice-President in order to determine if this conflict might be resolved in advance of the 2007 annual conference in Washington, D.C.  Alexander Street Press expressed an interest in holding an event specifically for Arts Section members.

 

ACRL Board Liaison to the Arts Section (Mary Carr)

Mary Carr shared that ACRL has made a series of recommendations for proposed structural changes.  The organization wishes to be increasingly nimble and flexible, and wants to facilitate Sections and Interest Groups to work in new ways, in order to focus more on content and less on process.  Mary Carr discussed the ‘new generation’ librarians who wish to access leadership positions within ACRL with some stealth.  It was noted that some of the newly formed Interest Groups may meet virtually, yet it was added that some sections found that virtual meetings were not as successful as face-to-face meetings.  Will ACRL query its membership about these proposed changes, or perhaps mount a FAQ on its website about the structural changes?  One meeting attendee asked if ACRL collects demographic information.  ACRL does conduct a new member survey, and the Section can request Arts-specific information from Mary Jane Petrowski.  Indeed, the Membership Committee may be interested in this information.  Shannon Van Kirk expressed some concern that the suggested Interest Groups may siphon off members from established sections such as Arts.

 

Mary Carr encouraged Jane Sloan to resubmit the Section’s action plan for the database project “Class and Ethnicity in Motion Pictures.”  The Arts Section asked for tech support and server space from ALA.

 

Mary Carr also wished to remind the group about the upcoming ACRL conference in Baltimore.  In conclusion, Mary Carr noted that if anyone is interested in applying to the new ACRL initiative to be an ACRL Legislative Advocate there would be an application form on the ACRL site shortly.

 

Reports

Program 2007 (Alessia Zanin-Yost)

The speakers for this program met on January 20, 2007.  In examining the interaction between information literacy and visual literacy the speakers will conduct dynamic presentations.  A call for virtual posters has been made and some element of the program will remain accessible on the web after the program is completed.

 

Program 2008 (Eric Kidwell and Hannah Bennett)

Eric Kidwell reported that Hannah Bennett will chair the Program Planning committee for ’08 in Anaheim.  Preliminary proposals will be available for review at the 2007 Annual Conference in Washington, D.C.  Tip sheets are available from ACRL regarding meeting deadlines and planning budgets.  Eric Kidwell will post a call for volunteers to assist with the program.

 

Program 2009 (Shannon Van Kirk)

The planning process has already begun for Program 2009, which is the 50th anniversary of the Arts Section.

 

Nominating (Stephen Patrick for Sandy Mooney)

Our slate of candidates is:

Sara Harrington, Secretary

Lucie Stylianopoulos, Vice-chair/Chair-elect

The biographies of the candidates will be posted to the listserv.

 

Membership and Outreach (Claudia Covert)

The Section currently has 921 members. The Committee met on January 20, 2007 to discuss the new brochure.  They are looking for quotes about participation in the Arts Section touting the benefits of membership.  Ed Teague has some ideas and will contact the Committee.  The Committee will send letters to those who relinquish membership in the Section, and is preparing a letter to library schools in order to invite membership.  The Committee distributed a draft “Top 5 Reasons to Join.”

 

Adam Burling stated that it is great to see membership increasing, and noted that the Section is getting close to the 1,000 member mark, which would bring additional funding to the Section.  On behalf of ACRL, Adam has begun a new membership retention program.  As part of this program he welcomes and follows up with new members.

 

Claudia Covert will request a membership list from Adam Burling and will share pertinent information with the Section.

 

Publications and Research and Conference ArtsGuide Project (Eric Kidwell)

The publication A Core Collection for Dance, edited by Mary Edsall, will be published in a second edition perhaps by the end of 2007.  This edition will appear in both print and online format.

 

The first ArtsGuide for ALA meeting sites (Seattle) has received extremely positive informal feedback.  Sharon Wasserman, of the National Museum of Women in the Arts, will coordinate the guide for 2007 ALA Annual in Washington, D.C.  The intent of these guides is to provide selective, focused, lesser-known arts venues in the conference city, and include recommendations about transportation and the amount of time that might usefully be spent in the venue.  One attendee underscored that the guide is exceedingly useful because it is crafted for a specific audience and does not have any commercial aspect.  Shannon Van Kirk added her praise and thanks to the group that composed the guide, and offered best wishes for the 2007 Annual guide.

 

Eric Kidwell revisited the idea of holding informal presentations by members on any theme related to the Arts as a part of the regularly scheduled Discussion Forum.  This idea met with enthusiasm and the Section will attempt to hold the first series of presentations at the Discussion forum at 2007 ALA Annual in Washington, D.C.  Eric will draft a call for proposals and will e-mail it to the Executive Committee for revisions.

 

Planning (Roland Hansen)

Ed Teague has agreed to join the Planning Committee.  The Committee will coordinate the Section’s 50th anniversary celebration.  We will perhaps have a reception or celebration that will go hand in hand with the program.  Roland will post a call for Committee members to the listserv.

 

Technology in the Arts

No report, a report may be posted to the listserv.

 

Film and Broadcast Studies (Diana King)

The Rare Book and Manuscript Section will be planning a film preservation program for the 2008 Annual Conference.  They are potentially interested in Arts Section co-sponsorship.  Fifteen members participated in the discussion group, and discussed issues such as library instruction.  All are enthusiastic for the 2007 program.

 

Dance Librarians (Laura McElfresh)

Seven members attended the open discussion group.  There was some discussion as to whether or not the dance librarian at the Library of Congress might be able to come to speak to the group in Washington, D.C. in order to discuss major dance collections and other issues.

 

Webmaster (Tom Caswell)

A place has been made for the ArtsGuide on the Section’s webpage, we hope to build a body of these guides over the years.  ALA will convert the ALA website to a new content management system, and Tom will add updates as necessary.  Adam Burling thanked Tom Caswell for linking from the Section webpage to the new online volunteer form.

 

Newsletter  Editor (Laurel Bliss)

The next Arts Section newsletter deadline is April 9, 2007.  The newsletter will contain condensed Committee reports.

 

IFLA Liaison Update (Ed Teague)

The Arts Section has been sorting out its relationship with IFLA.  Delegates to the IFLA Board’s General Council can only fill pre-existing vacancies.  Ed has been appointed to run for a delegate slot, and will serve as delegate provided that another candidate does not run against him and win the election.  If Ed Teague is able to serve as a delegate it will be an international link that the Arts Section has rarely enjoyed.

 

In closing, please share any feedback, questions, or concerns with Chair Shannon Van Kirk and please continue to publicize the Section’s upcoming 2007 Annual Program, “Eye to I: Visual Literacy Meets Information Literacy,” with other arts related organizations, as well as solicit participants in the virtual posters sessions.

 

The meeting was adjourned at 12:04 p.m.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Sara Harrington

Secretary, Arts Section