The Virtual Worlds Interest Group provides an opportunity for academic librarians with virtual world interests and responsibilities to have a place in ACRL to network, share information, ask questions, and work on special projects and programs relevant to academic libraries. The Interest Group also works to promote the various uses of virtual environments to potential and current academic librarians and to improve information literacy specifically in virtual worlds. The ACRL VWIG sponsors events, programs and meetings held mainly within the virtual world of Second Life and explores other developing Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality environments.
Public Posts from ALA Connect
- AI and the Future of Libraries in Virtual Worlds (Presentation Archives)
- Community Virtual Library Grand Opening in Library Land Jan 21 NOON meeting
- Dickens Resource Center & Virtual Library Tour DEC 3
- Presentation: Using Sim-on-a-Stick to create portable Virtual Libraries
- GENEALOGY IN VIRTUAL WORLDS 10/15/2017 noon PacTime
- Cybalounge Library Tour
- AUG Meeting: Artificial Intelligence as Future Digital Citizens
- July 16 ACRL VWIG Meeting: Museums of Archaeology
- Vision of Virtual World Librarianship May 21
- April 9th Session Topic: Avatars and Artificial Intelligence
As of August 2017, the VWIG had 206 members. Interest Group composition includes a convener and incoming convener.
The Virtual Worlds Interest Group was established at the 2009 ALA Annual Conference. The next renewal date for this interest group is the 2018 ALA Annual Conference.
Join an Interest Group
Join the Virtual Worlds Interest Group through your ALA membership record, and participate through the interest group's ALA Connect space and the ACRL listserv. If you have any questions, suggestions, or ideas for discussion topics or events, please contact the conveners.
Association of College & Research Libraries
American Library Association
50 East Huron Street
Chicago, IL 60611-2788