The Virtual Worlds Interest Group provides an opportunity for academic librarians with virtual world interests and responsibilities to have a place in ACRL to network, share information, ask questions, and work on special projects and programs relevant to academic libraries. The Interest Group also works to promote the various uses of virtual environments to potential and current academic librarians and to improve information literacy specifically in virtual worlds. The ACRL VWIG sponsors events, programs and meetings held mainly within the virtual world of Second Life and explores other developing Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality environments.
Displaying active committee roster as of 07/01/2009. Last retrieved on 10/20/2017. Members can log in to view full contact information for committee members.
Public Posts from ALA Connect
- GENEALOGY IN VIRTUAL WORLDS 10/15/2017 noon PacTime
- Cybalounge Library Tour
- AUG Meeting: Artificial Intelligence as Future Digital Citizens
- July 16 ACRL VWIG Meeting: Museums of Archaeology
- Vision of Virtual World Librarianship May 21
- April 9th Session Topic: Avatars and Artificial Intelligence
- Digital Citizenship Exhibit Tour Mar 18th
- ACRL Speaker Laura Solomon Sun 3/19 noon PT
- Virtual World Meditation (ACRL VWIG Meeting)
- Jan 15th ACRL VWIG Meeting: Future of Librarians in Virtual Worlds
As of August 2017, the VWIG had 206 members. Interest Group composition includes a convener and incoming convener.
The Virtual Worlds Interest Group was established at the 2009 ALA Annual Conference.
Join an Interest Group
Join the Virtual Worlds Interest Group through your ALA membership record, and participate through the interest group's ALA Connect space and the ACRL listserv. If you have any questions, suggestions, or ideas for discussion topics or events, please contact the conveners.
Association of College & Research Libraries
American Library Association
50 East Huron Street
Chicago, IL 60611-2788