ALA began holding an annual business meeting, which became the ALA Midwinter Meeting.
After the closure of the ALA headquarters in Boston, the first of the Chicago headquarters opened. The next headquarters were established in 1909 in space donated by the Chicago Public Library. Headquarters were at that location until 1924.
The Chicago Cultural Center was the main public library building in Chicago at the time.
The ALA Code of Ethics was adopted in 1939
"Adopted at the 1939 Midwinter Meeting by the ALA Council; amended June 30, 1981; June 28, 1995; and January 22, 2008.
As members of the American Library Association, we recognize the importance of codifying and making known to the profession and to the general public the ethical principles that guide the work of librarians, other professionals providing information services, library trustees and library staffs.
"Public Libraries" is the official journal of the Public Library Association. It was first published (Vol. 1, No.1) on January, 1947.
RUSA begins publishing RQ in November of 1960.
The name of the publication has since changed to Reference and User Services Quarterly (RUSQ).