Carroll Preston Baber Research Grant: Proposal Requirements
- Application Cover Sheet - (Word Version)
Application Cover Sheet - (PDF Version)
- Statement of the problem: This section should identify the problem to be studied and place it in the context of the goals of the Grant specified in the evaluative criteria listed on the introductory page.
- Research questions to be answered.
- Strategy for answering the question.(s)
- Group(s) of people who will eventually benefit.
- Planned activities: This section should provide a detailed description of the proposed organization and implementation of the project and a time line of activities. Include whatever details are necessary to enable an evaluator of the application to understand the project and the costs related to various elements of it.
It is expected that the project will be completed within 18 months. A final report is due to ALA at that time although dissemination of results will take longer.
- Plans for dissemination: This section should describe a plan for disseminating the results of the project. The plan could include such possibilities as: oral presentation at an ALA Annual Conference or divisional national conference, oral presentation at meeting of other library or non-library organization, article in an ALA periodical, article in a non-ALA periodical, submission to ERIC, book, video, or microcomputer software program.
- If the project results in a print or non-print product suitable for sale, ALA Publishing Services has the right of first refusal. If the project results in a periodical article, the ALA periodical appropriate for the subject matter has the right of first refusal.
- In any publication or presentation of results, the grantee should acknowledge that full or partial support for the project came from the Carroll Preston Baber Grant administered by the American Library Association.
The budget should include all costs that can be specifically identified with the proposal and should show both costs being covered by other sources and the amount being requested from the Baber Grant.
Possible categories are:
- Salaries and wages Project Director Support staff Fringe benefits for salaried personnel
- Consultant services
- Travel for work on the project (see note 3 below)
- Supplies and materials
- Other, including such costs as rental of space and/or equipment, communications, and computer services
- Dissemination costs
- The applicant should indicate the extent of any parent organizational commitment of support. If the applicant is to be given leave for the research project, this should be noted. No specific financial commitments by the institution are required but, if submitted, those commitments will be weighed in the evaluation of the proposal.
- Institutional overhead is not an acceptable budget item within the parameters of the Baber Grant, nor should overhead be listed as institutional support.
- If travel for dissemination of results is in the budget, it must be less than 10% of the total.
For more information, please see the following: