ODLOS supports literacy across the lifespan through a variety of resources and initiatives supporting family literacy, adult literacy, English language learners, and more.
- ALA Literacy Clearinghouse, a website bringing together literacy resources from across ALA
- Literacy for All: Adult Literacy through Libraries, a toolkit to help library workers add, expand, and advocate for adult literacy services
- Adult Literacy through Libraries, an initiative by ProLiteracy and ODLOS
- American Dream Literacy Initiative, a grant program to help public libraries improve services for adult English language learners, funded by the Dollar General Literacy Foundation
- Booklists, diverse booklists provided by the American Library Association and its ethnic affiliates.
- DigitalLearn.org, an initiative from the Institute of Museum and Library Services and the Public Library Association
- Teen Book Finder, a collaboration between ODLOS and YALSA to highlight award-winning books for teens. Book featured include Coretta Scott King Book Awards, Stonewall Book Awards, AILA Book Awards, and APALA Book Awards
National Adult Education and Family Literacy Week raises public awareness about the need and value of adult education and family literacy in order to leverage resources to support access to basic education programs for the 36 million U.S. adults with low literacy skills. Advocates across the country use this opportunity to elevate adult education and family literacy nationwide with policymakers, the media, and the community.
In 2019, National Adult Education and Family Literacy Week is September 22 – 28. Learn more about participating.