ODLOS supports lifelong literacy through a variety of resources and initiatives supporting family literacy, adult literacy, English language learners, and more.
- ALA Literacy Clearinghouse, a website bringing together literacy efforts from across ALA and its divisions
- Adult Literacy through Libraries, an initiative by ProLiteracy and ODLOS
- The American Dream Starts @ your library, a grant initiative geared to improve library services to English language learners, funded by the Dollar General Literacy Foundation
- ALA Family Literacy Focus, an initiative of 2010-11 ALA President Camila Alire
- DigitalLearn.org, an initiative from the Institute of Museum and Library Services and the Public Library Association
National Adult Education and Family Literacy Week raises public awareness about the need and value of adult education and family literacy in order to leverage resources to support access to basic education programs for the 36 million U.S. adults with low literacy skills. Advocates across the country use this opportunity to elevate adult education and family literacy nationwide with policymakers, the media, and the community.
In 2017, National Adult Education and Family Literacy Week was celebrated September 24 – 30. Learn more about participating.