Displaying active committee roster as of 03/21/2018. Last retrieved on 03/21/2018. Members can log in to view full contact information for committee members.
Code of Ethics
We significantly influence or control the selection, organization, preservation, and dissemination of information. In a political system grounded in an informed citizenry, we are members of a profession explicitly committed to intellectual freedom and the freedom of access to information. We have a special obligation to ensure the free flow of information and ideas to present and future generations.
The principles of this Code are expressed in broad statements to guide ethical decision making. These statements provide a framework; they cannot and do not dictate conduct to cover particular situations.
- We provide the highest level of service to all library users through appropriate and usefully organized resources; equitable service policies; equitable access; and accurate, unbiased, and courteous responses to all requests.
- We uphold the principles of intellectual freedom and resist all efforts to censor library resources.
- We protect each library user's right to privacy and confidentiality with respect to information sought or received and resources consulted, borrowed, acquired or transmitted.
- We respect intellectual property rights and advocate balance between the interests of information users and rights holders.
- We treat co-workers and other colleagues with respect, fairness, and good faith, and advocate conditions of employment that safeguard the rights and welfare of all employees of our institutions.
- We do not advance private interests at the expense of library users, colleagues, or our employing institutions.
- We distinguish between our personal convictions and professional duties and do not allow our personal beliefs to interfere with fair representation of the aims of our institutions or the provision of access to their information resources.
- We strive for excellence in the profession by maintaining and enhancing our own knowledge and skills, by encouraging the professional development of co-workers, and by fostering the aspirations of potential members of the profession.
- Questions & Answers on Conflicts of Interest (An explanatory statement of the ALA Code of Ethics
- Questions & Answers on Enforcement of the Code of Ethics of the American Library Association
- Questions & Answers on Speech in the Workplace (An explanatory statement of the ALA Code of Ethics)
- Questions & Answers on Ethics and Social Media (An explanatory statement of the ALA Code of Ethics
Public Posts from ALA Connect
- 2016 Annual Minutes, Report to Council, and Report to COO
- Annual Conference Ethics Committee Documents 2016
- 2016 Ethics Program SKITS
- 2015 Annual Conference Minutes and Handout
- 2015 Annual Conference documents
- Draft of Copyright: An Interpretation of the Code of Ethics
- What Would You Do? Ethics in Action: Libraries and Law Enforcement
- Committee on Professional Ethics II
- Committee on Professional Ethics I
- Committee on Professional Ethics Meeting II (ALA)
The Committee on Professional Ethics (COPE) consists of 7 members appointed by the Council Committee on Committees, in cooperation with the ALA President-Elect. Members serve a 2 year term and the Committee is led by the chair.