After the closure of the ALA headquarters in Boston, the first of the Chicago headquarters opened. The next headquarters were established in 1909 in space donated by the Chicago Public Library.  Headquarters were at that location until 1924.

The Chicago Cultural Center was the main public library building in Chicago at the time.

File:Chicago Cultural Center and Chicago Public Library, Chicago June 30, 2012-42.jpg