Starting in 1905, ALA began to issue recommendations for the education of librarians ensuring the highest standards within the profession. That year ALA recommended that two to three years of college be a pre-requisite to library education.
The first bookmobile was established in 1905 at the Washington County Public Library (Md.). The original bookmobile was a wagon with horses which were driven by the library janitor. The was wagon had room for 200 books. Mary L. Titcomb was the librarian who instigated this innovation. It was originally designed for service to children.
The location of ALA headquarters has moved several times since the 1876 conference. The first office was established 1906 at 34 Newbury Street, Boston. It closed at the end of the following year.
ALA began holding an annual business meeting, which became the ALA Midwinter Meeting.
In 1909 the council was enlarged to include the Executive Board, all ex-Presidents of ALA, and fifty additional members--half chosen by the Council, half by the membership. This new enlarged council took over the business affairs of ALA. This year also saw the appointment of the first salaried executive secretary: Charles Hadley.
After the closure of the ALA headquarters in Boston, the first of the Chicago headquarters opened. The next headquarters were established in 1909 in space donated by the Chicago Public Library. Headquarters were at that location until 1924.
The Chicago Cultural Center was the main public library building in Chicago at the time.