About the Travel Rotation
- AASL Chapters are visited in a five-year cycle
- Ten (10) AASL Chapters visited each year;
- Five (5) by AASL President
- At least five (5) visits split between AASL President-Elect and AASL Immediate Past President
- An AASL Chapter receives a visit from the AASL President at least once every ten (10) years
- Visits can be a conference, institute, or other program with a large group of AASL Chapter members
Note: AASL leadership may accept invitations to other AASL Chapter-reimbursed conferences and events as their schedule permits. However, AASL Chapter visits in the rotation have precedence.
How to prepare for an AASL visit:
- Notify AASL when your conference date and location have been established for the year of your visit.
- Coordinate with AASL the leadership’s presentation(s). AASL asks that, at minimum, AASL leadership be given a session to present the current work and resources from AASL.
- Waive registration and meal costs associated with the conference or event. AASL will assume travel and hotel expenses.
- To help offset the expenses incurred by AASL, AASL would greatly appreciate booking the leader in a complimentary or reduced rate hotel room at the conference hotel.
- Assist AASL in finalizing presidential travel by providing preferred arrival/departure times, hotel options, and ground transportation.
During the Visit
During their visit the AASL leader may:
- Promote AASL to members and non-members.
- Provide visibility of AASL, its leadership, and initiatives.
- Build leadership in AASL Chapters
- Develop specific, pertinent questions to be part of a forum presentation during the AASL Chapter visits to gather information for future decision-making by AASL.
- Present a workshop on AASL initiatives, present a keynote address, and/or present on a topic of expertise.
- Bring greetings or speak to the conference membership at some general meeting or meal function.
- Communicate AASL Chapter information back to the AASL Board in order to provide input for this program.
|Year||President||President-Elect or Immediate Past President|
|2019 - 2020||Utah
|2020 - 2021||New Jersey
District of Columbia
|2021 - 2022||Connecticut
|2022 - 2023||Rhode Island
West Virginia *
|2023 - 2024||Arkansas (ArASL)
Only those organizations in good standing as an AASL Chapter will be visited by the AASL President, President-Elect, or Immediate Past President during the assigned year. Visits to states without an AASL Chapter may be made by the AASL Executive Director as outreach.