You Belong @ Your School Library
School Library Month 2012
Student Video Contest
Students are encouraged to submit videos to the American Association of School Librarians detailing examples of how their school library connects to this year’s School Library Month theme “You Belong @ your library.”
Videos submitted should focus on the great reasons to visit the school library. School libraries are no longer just places to go check out a book. They are the centers of the school where learning, research and collaboration happen, and technologies and information resources are available 24/7. Each video should visually illustrate why the school library is (either physically or virtually) the place to be. Contestants might want to focus on one or more of the messages of the School Library Month “Ten Reasons” poster listed below or they may prefer to come up with their own reasons:
- Research anything – for a school assignment or your own personal projects
- Get a global perspective – learn about other cultures, global issues and events
- Enjoy great programs – authors, speakers, open-mic, special events
- Study in a quiet place – study for an exam, write that essay
- Hang out with friends – catch up on the latest gossip, compare gaming strategies, make plans for the weekend
- Explore new ideas – take the opportunity to investigate topics of interest or importance to you, satisfy your curiosity
- Feel safe – spend time where there is always a welcome smile and an offer of support, find a kindred spirit
- Lose yourself in a good book – participate in the promotion of reading through book clubs, suggesting titles for inclusion in the library collection, write book reviews
- Expand your world online – use it for school-based assignments and explore your personal interests
- Find endless opportunities – be a student library aide, meet with your favorite club, see an art exhibit, the possibilities are endless
Creativity is encouraged!
Contest Rules and Eligibility
Entries must be submitted to SchoolTube.com by March 29, 2012 by 11:59 P.M. CST to be eligible to win:
- Videos must be under three minutes long.
- Videos must be mostly live action. A combination of live action/photos is permitted, but live action should be the emphasis.
- Video must be submitted by a student in a school with a school librarian. Multiple entries are welcomed.
- Educators may advise students but should not take on a significant role in creating the video.
- Contest Entry Form must accompany submission.
Tag videos using the words "'You Belong @ Your School Library 2012" when uploading to SchoolTube.
How to Enter
- Register under your school for a free SchoolTube.com account. You will receive an e-mail confirmation with information on logging into SchoolTube. It may take up to 24 hours to receive your confirmation.
- Review the official rules.
- Upload your video to the School Library Month 2012 channel. PLEASE NOTE: When uploading a video onto SchoolTube, please enter 'Your School Library 2012' in the "tags" section during the upload. Please set the video to Public when uploading your entry to SchoolTube.
Judging and Determination of Winners
Each entry will be reviewed by a panel of judges and points will be awarded based on the following criteria:
- Does the video focus on one or more great reasons to visit the library? 5 points possible
- Is the video presented in an entertaining way? 5 points possible
- Does the video capture the role of the librarians? 5 points possible
- Does the video meet the time limit & live action requirements? 5 points possible
- Is the school librarian an AASL member? 2 points possible
One student winner will be chosen from each grade level – elementary, middle, and high school. Winners will receive a $100 Amazon.com gift card and a prize of $500 in books for their school library program.
All entries to be submitted via SchoolTube.com between February 1 and March 29, 2012 by 11:59 p.m. CST. A completed Contest Entry Form must accompany each submission. E-mail form to email@example.com or fax to AASL at 312-280-5276. Winners will be announced April 17, 2012.