School Library Media Month 2009
Resources for School Librarians
Connect to your PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS
- American Association of School Librarians (AASL)
- American Library Association (ALA)
- ADD IT UP!
- Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA)
- International Association of School Librarianship (IASL)
- Partnership for 21st Century Skills (P21)
- International Reading Association (IRA)
- Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC)
- Connect with the AASL Community
Connect to LITERATURE
- Aaron Shepard
- Keys to Literacy
Website aimed at improving adolescent literacy
- Librarians Internet Index
- Many links to literature support
- National Reading Panel
A national panel to charged with assessing the effectiveness of different approaches used to teach children to read.
- PBS - Zoom Plays
- Scripts for the Younger Crowd
- Teaching Books.net
- Teaching Heart - Plays
- Timeless Teacher Stuff Scripts
- Accessible Book Collection
Providing digital text to persons with disabilities.
- The On-Line Books Page of the University of Pennsylvania
Listing over 20,000 free books on the Web.
- Project Gutenberg
More than 13,000 e-Books/e-texts can be freely downloaded ,read, & redistributed for non-commercial use.
Increases the accessibility of books for people with visual or other print disabilities.
- Net Library
NetLibrary lets you access your affiliated library's eContent collection, including eBooks, eJournals, & eAudiobooks.
- Overdrive Media Console v2.1
Patrons can browse their public library eCatalogs to select audiobooks to check out/download using OverDrive.
Connect to TECHNOLOGY
Universal Design for Learning / Assistive Technology
- The Assistive Technology Training Online Project (ATTO)
The ATTO Online Project provides information on AT applications that help students with disabilities.
- A.T. laws (ATTO site)
This module looks at the mandates of various federal public laws that impact the educational programs and & services that children with disabilities receive.
- A.T. – Trainers Shared Resources
Provides a discussion list for people involved in providing and developing assistive technology training.
- Pennsylvania Training and Technical Assistance Network (PaTTAN)
PaTTAN mission: to support the efforts of the Bureau of Special Education and its initiatives and to build the capacity of local education agencies to support programs and services to improve student learning and achievement.
- Schwab Learning
Schwab Learning.org is a “parent’s guide to helping kids with learning difficulties.”
Technology Resources for Education (TRE) Center
The T.R.E. Center is the NY State Education Department's Designated AT Resource & Training Center. Their mission is to provide information, training and other resources to enhance learning opportunities for individuals with or without disabilities through technology.
A.T. Applications & Home Pages
Co:Writer 4000 adds word prediction, grammar and vocabulary support capabilities to any word processor or email program.
Write:OutLoud is the easy-to-use word processor that gives immediate speech feedback as students type words, sentences and paragraphs.
Inspiration's integrated diagramming and outlining views work together to help students comprehend concepts and information.
IntelliTools’ created educational software and adaptive hardware products that deliver multi-sensory instruction to meet diverse classroom needs.
- JAWS for Windows
JAWS® for Windows works with PCs to provide access to today’s software applications and the Internet.
- Kurzweil Educational Systems
Reading technology for people with learning difficulties & those who are blind or visually impaired.
- Windows XP – Accessibility Tools
- Zoom Text Magnifier 9.x
Adaptive Technology Tutorials
- Co:Writer (ATTO site)
- IntelliKeys (ATTO site)
- IntelliTalk II – part 1 (ATTO site)
- IntelliTalk II – part 2 (ATTO site)
- Intellitools - Overlay Maker (ATTO site)
- JAWS tutorial (ATTO site)
- Kurzweil 3000
- PowerPoint – Talking Books (ATTO site)
- Microsoft Word (ATTO site)
- Write:Out Loud Tutorial (ATTO site)
- ZoomText tutorial (ATTO site)
- Internet Explorer keyboard shortcuts
Additional Tutorials & Resource Exchange Sites
- SEN Teacher – free special needs teaching resources
- PowerTalk 1.2.11 Automatic speech for PowerPoint presentations
- Inspiration in the classroom
Created by teachers in District Five schools of Spartanburg County, S.C.
- Inspiration & Kidspiration Tools for Active Learning: University of Wisconsin Stout
- IntelliShare Classroom Activity Exchange
Activity Exchange for finding and downloading classroom activities.
- Internet 4 Classrooms On-Line practice modules
- Learning Electric
- Project Participate
- Technology Integration (Linda J. Burkhart)
Various tools for children in elementary school, middle school, or those with special needs.
- Various A.T. tutorials
Created by Area Education Agency 267, Iowa.
- webteachweblearn.com Tutorials
ReadPlease offers a variety of text-to-speech products to a wide spectrum of users.
Free software downloads.
- Downloads.com – Teaching Tools
Connect to YOUR COMMUNITY
- ALA Campaigns
- National Library Week
- Teen Tech Week
- Learning4Life (L4L)
- Standards for the 21st-Century Learner in Action
- Standards for the 21st-Century Learner
- Learning4Life Webinars