Write a research paper on one of the topics listed below. Your paper should be 2,000 words and include cover page and table of contents, an introduction, body and conclusion. Use at least three sources of information, both print and electronic, and include at least three quotations with correct citations and a bibliography. Your paper should include two points of view on your subject with evidence to support both viewpoints.
|Gays in the Military||Abortion|
|The Vietnam War||Capital Punishment|
Figure 1. A Typical Research Assignment [ Back to Article]
Figure 2. Kuhlthau Model of the Information Search Process (ISP) [ Back to Article]
Write a paper of 2,000 words that tells the story of your investigation of a question or problem you are curious about. You will collect information from books and electronic sources that will help you focus your topic and you will collect data through interviews, questionnaires or content analysis that will be displayed and analyzed as evidence. The following questions will help you become authentic researchers:
- What is research and how is it different from reporting?
- What is a researchable question?
- How do I do prepare a proposal for my research?
- How can do we evaluate our own success as authentic researchers?
- Where do I get information?
- How do I get data from a primary source?
- How do I display and analyze data?
- How do I present my paper using a style sheet?
- How do we edit and revise our papers using the writing process?
- How can we evaluate the success of this teaching unit as authentic researchers?
- A journal documenting your progress
- Your notes from information gathering
- Your notes, tapes or videos from data collection
- A rough draft of your paper
Figure 3. An Authentic Research Assignment [ Back to Article]
Figure 4. Student Questionnaire [ Back to Article]
Table 1. The Teachers' Plan for Action Research [ Back to Article]
|Q uestionnaire Items||1||2||3||4||5||NR*||% Disagree||% Agree|
|Disagree ------------------ Agree|
|3. Library resources||5||7||17||25||11||0||25||75|
|4. Grading system||1||2||23||25||2||12||10||90|
|5. Bibliography Charts||4||8||11||21||21||0||22||78|
|8. Research question||3||1||11||30||20||0||7||93|
|9. Information search||2||17||12||29||4||1||37||63|
|11. Data collection||3||10||27||21||4||0||34||66|
N=65 for ratings 1-5
N varies for each item in calculating percentage for disagree/agree since responses for ratings 1 and 2 and responses for 4 and 5 comprise N.
*NR= No response
Table 2. Summary of Data [ Back to Article]
Table 3. Breakdown of Grades by Assessment Criteria [ Back to Article]