Awards & Grants
BWI/YALSA Collection Development Grant
To award $1000 for collection development to YALSA members who represent a public library and who work directly with young adults ages 12 to 18. Up to two grants will be awarded annually.
Each application will be judged on the basis of:
- The degree of need for additional materials for young adults.
- The degree of the current collection's use and the specificity of examples used.
- The soundness of the rationale for the selection of materials.
- The quality of the description of the benefits this grant will bring to young adults.
- The degree to which the applicant's philosophy reflects the concepts identified in Directions for Library Service to Young Adults
- All entries must include the application form provided below by the Young Adult Library Services Association.
- All applicants must be current personal members of ALA/YALSA at the time the application is submitted. (Please note that it takes about 2 months to fully process your application for membership. If you are just joining, please make sure you send a copy of your membership application with the grant application.)
- Entries should be models of clarity and completeness.
- The Description Statement must be no more than 1000 words, and double-spaced.
- The application should be e mailed to Nichole Gilbert at firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions can be directed to Nichole at 1.800.545.2433 x 4387
- Applications must be received no later than December 1 of the current year.
- The Description Statement and the Application Form must be combined as one document.
Please Note: Each candidate must submit a one-page report to the YALSA Office within six months of receiving the grant. This report should contain details on how this award has impacted the grant recipient's collection of materials for young adults. (This report may or may not be considered for publication.)